Tenure System Mentoring Program
The overall goal of this program is to supplement existing departmental mentoring activities and to assist junior faculty in achieving the award of tenure. This program is also available to selected fixed term research intensive faculty.
There are six senior faculty members trained as mentors for this program. They meet with junior faculty on a periodic basis to:
- Review academic progress to date
- Establish future academic goals
- Provide assistance in achieving those goals
Once a year, the junior faculty member receives written feedback from the Mentor Program Directors and Mentors on their progress toward achieving tenure. Mentors and protégés meet periodically during the academic year, and at least twice a year the entire group of CHM Mentors and Protégés meet to participate in professional development seminars.
Professional Development Seminars (2008-Present)
- May 2017 – Overview of Research Activities in the Flint Campus, Debra Furr-Holden, Ph.D., Mona Hanna-Attisha, M.D., Jennifer Johnson, Ph.D., Woody Neighbors, Ph.D.
- November 2016 – Preparing for Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure Review, Henry Barry, M.D., M.S. and Donna Mulder
- May 2015 – Professional Colleagues, Networks and Professional Organizations, William Wadland, Senior Associate Dean, Faculty Affairs and Development, MSU
- November 2014 – Understanding Expectations for Promotion, William Wadland, Senior Associate Dean, Faculty Affairs and Development; Terry Curry, Associate Provost & Associate Vice President for Academic Human Resources; Bryan Judge, Associate Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, MSU
- April 2014 – Issues in Team Science, Ian Gray, Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies (retired), MSU
- October 2013 – Strategies Used by Successful Faculty, William Anderson, Professor, OMERAD and Office of Faculty Affairs and Development
- May 2013 – Building Your Research Team to Advance Science, C. Konrad Gelbke, Director, National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory at MSU
- October 2012 – Research at MSU, guest speaker Stephen Hsu, Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies
- May 2012 – Finding an Extra Hour in the Day, Randy Dean Consulting & Training, LLC
- October 2011 – Strategic Grant Budgeting, James Galligan, Bill Given, Claudia Holzman, Katie Cook
- May 2011 – Strategies for Navigating the NIH System, Jeff Dwyer, CHM Associate Dean for Research and Katie Cook, MSU Contract & Grant, Sponsored Projects Assistant Director
- October 2010 – Top Ten Tips for Preparing Your Promotion/Tenure Package, guest speaker June Youatt, Senior Associate Provost
- May 2010 – Work Life Balance with Ellen Kossek, University Distinguished Professor, Labor and Industrial Relations
- October 2009 – Preparing Your Curriculum Vitae and Academic Portfolio, William Anderson and Brian Mavis, Office of Medical Education Research and Development at MSU
- June 2009 – Career Planning and Development with Stephen Bogdewic, Executive Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Professional Development at Indiana University School of Medicine
- November 2008 – Expectations and Strategies for Achieving Tenure at MSU with panelist, Terry Curry, Associate Provost and Vice President for Academic Human Resources, Marsha Rappley, CHM Dean, David Weismantel, CHM RPT Chair, William Spielman, Chair of Physiology
For further information contact your chair, director, or:
William A. Anderson, Ph.D.
Office of Faculty Affairs and Development
Michigan State University
965 Fee Road, Room A101
East Lansing, MI 48824-1316